Thursday 17 August 2017

My 1860s Corset

I had been 'umming' and 'ahhing' for a few months before I finally decided to make a 1860's corset for my civil war outfit. I used this tutorial to draft my pattern. I must admit, although it was very hard to find original pictures to compare it with, this is probably not the most period-accurate pattern for a 60's corset due to its straight panels. But after finally finding a set of instructions for corset-drafting, I didn't really want to keep looking.


After drafting my pattern, I followed these instructions on sewing a simple corset. However, I didn't realise until I was almost finished that there were supposed to be two layers of duck sandwiching the bones. Somehow I had completely missed this and sewn the bones into the seams (sandwiching it between the main fabric and the seam allowance). For bones that were not on a seam or on a seam that might stretch, I used boning tape. Fortunately, this did not cause any problems (at least, that I have come across), but I have no idea how I missed that!



I ended up using duck instead of coutil because it was about a third of the price. So far, the corset hasn't stretched out of shape, and I'm not too worried that it will because I don't tightlace it.



You wouldn't believe how comfortable it is! It just holds your posture for you without any work on your behalf!

Flossing!



Date: Late 1860's
Description: Corset
Accuracy: The overall shape is fairly accurate but I'm not sure about the straight shape of the panels
Time: I didn't time myself but I think this corset took about the same amount of work as my 1860's dress - the equivalent of one and a half week's solid work.
Cost: It ended up being quite expensive because I could only get the boning and busk online, and all the Australian websites were fairly expensive. I probably spent about $60 all up. (I bought my gear from Aussie Corset Supplies and A Rare Notion)


God Bless,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment